[WikiEN-l] sysop nominations

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 20:41:42 UTC 2003

KQ wrote:
>No, there's not another list, and
>yes, you should be reading this list
>(unless you find it boring).  This
>list is *not* only for sysops.
>
>About the secret nominations: mav has
>a lot of good ideas, so it's fine if
>he has the occasional bad one,
>and this one is a bad one.

Actually all I want is to make the process run a bit
smoother than it is now. It is tedious to seek-out
Admin candidates, ask them to apply, and then have
most of them not even bother for weeks or longer. So I
want to cut uncontroversial candidates out of the
selection process by, in a way, auto-sysoping them. So
when I imply a "secrete" proceeding all I mean is that
the candidate would not have to be the one initiating
the process nor would they need to participate at all.
So there is no need for any secrete mailing list or
anything like that.

And a technical means to "auto-sysop" would be a bad
idea; like you said Lir would have been made a sysop,
so would Clutch and maybe even TMC (depending on the
criteria). These users would have been even more
troublesome as Admins and created an even greater
amount of damage (blocking IPs willy-nilly, deleting
pages that should not have been deleted etc).

Some people think that society would be better if
every teenager were given a gun on their 18th birthday
regardless of their mental state or firearms training.
I'm definitely not in that camp of thought.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)