[WikiEN-l] Movie v. Film

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 20:30:06 UTC 2003

) FILETIME=[8591F960:01C3137A]

>John Knouse wrote:
>
>>Whoa, here's a radical solution: use the form "Jackass
>>(movie/film)".  There.  Doesn't that cover it?
>>

>Or "(film/movie)", so as to forestall charges of American
>cultural imperialism because "movie" comes first. :-)
>
>Or, use "(movie/film)" and "(film/movie)" as a subtle
>method of differentiating the European-preferred from
>the American-preferred works, heh-heh.

Nice one, Stan. BTW sorry if offence was caused. It was not intended. To be
honest, I never thought it important to use smileys. I am only back on the
net since August and just never got 'into' using smileys. But please do
realise I have a habit of being ironic and sarcastic and take my comments in
that light.

And in case some people think it, I do NOT dislike America. Far from it. I
admire so many things about America - heck, my favourite TV shows are
Fraser, The West Wing and Six Feed Under, which all 'do' irony. But many
people outside the US do have a problem with the attitude (perhaps an
unintended attitude) of 'we know best' with any criticism of anything to do
with the US as being 'anti-american'. The Bush administration has REALLY
rubbed non-Americans the wrong way in a whole range of areas, and that has
impacted on attitudes worldwide towards the US. Wiki does have a tendency
(understandably, given that most of its initial members were American) to
have an american-orientation in many areas. Lists of TV shows that were hits
are exclusively American. An article on First Ladies was really about US
first ladies until I renamed it to clarify that fact. (Those who doing the
page - and did great work - never considered the fact that such a term might
be used outside the US) American linguistic styles like saying 'city name,
country' are prevalent even though that format is not widely used outside
the US. American terms 'movie, automobile' etc are used, even if english
language speakers outside the US don't use the terms and see them as
exclusively American terms.

On the movie vs film issue, I like the suggestion of (movie/film) or
(film/movie). Perhaps the solution as to which one comes first can be solved
simply by the rule - put them alphabetically.

In any case, wikilove (totally non sarcastically and non ironically, BTW
Danny!) :-)

JT