[WikiEN-l] it looks like DW is back again

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 00:16:09 UTC 2003

Given the abuse given by DW and Adam to Zoe and others, we really do need to
have some form of control mechanism to stop the constant 'Invasion of the
Trolls'. Adam's latest two personæ seem to have disappeared after being
stood up to. Do we have to keep niavely accepting the good will of people
who constantly come back and do the same as they did in their last
'apparition'. A suggestion:

1. if someone is banned TWICE for their behaviour, they should not be
allowed back at all, unless they contact Jimbo (perhaps publicly on his
page, perhaps privately) to guarantee that they will change their behaviour,
with Jimbo then stating on his page that DW, Adam, Michael or whomever has
indicated they will not resort to their previous behaviour.

2. Where such a guarantee is given, THEN AND ONLY THEN will they be given
the benefit of the doubt and allowed back a third time.

3.  If such a guarantee has not been given, once it has clearly been
demonstrated that 'x' user is indeed DW, Adam, Michael etc and they have
been banned twice, then an AUTOMATIC PAGE REVERSION POLICY is followed,
pending their permanent banning. And a person permanently banned will also
be subject to an AUTOMATIC PAGE REVERSION POLICY. That might seem harsh and
might seem costly in so far as it could lose wiki some good contributions,
but only an absolute and clear policy that tells such a troll A PERMANENT
BAN MEANS NOT ONE WORD OF YOURS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON WIKI will work.
Otherwise a permanent ban is useless and simply means 'take a break, then
come back and start hassling users all over again'.

The latest Adam troll invasion was only stopped when people challenged him.
The softly softy approach in his case simply encourages him, especially when
newbies join and, not knowing his 'game', try to be nice and constructive
and end up challenging older wiki people over 'why are you being nasty to
'x'?' (One said that to me recently, only to email an apology later saying
that in his words ''that son of a bitch had had me fooled. You, Zoe, Tannin
and 172 were right. Why did wikipedia let this abhorrent person on again,
given their record?'' If he is banned, why did wikipedia not kick him off
the moment he came on again?)

JT