[WikiEN-l] Conventions and movie vs. film

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 08:13:53 UTC 2003

Chill out, Stan. I was what is known in Ireland as 'taking the piss', a bit
of ironic mockery. (Oh God, you are not one of these boring people who don't
'do' irony and are to a sense of humour what George W. Bush is to linguistic
dexterity?)

The point I was making is that it is American arrogance in the extreme to
think - ' we use the word 'movie' therefore wikipedia must use the word
'movie' and any references to the word film we will replace with the 'right'
(ie American) word'. Some people use movie, some use film, as with British
English versus American English, leave it in whatever language the original
author used. Some time ago, a European wikian wrote about a film made in
Europe that because of legal problems never got a release in the US. It
never have been released there, but still someone tried to call it a (movie)
not a (film) until a group of bored Europeans, inspired by GWB, decided to
wage their own war for the liberation of the word 'film', collectively
telling the annoying renamer to shag off and Americanise something else. And
he reacted to their defence of a non-US title the way George W. reacts to
anything french these days. He hit the roof with a stream of 'how bloody
dare you . . . ' type responses.

Put bluntly, Stan, this is wikipedia, not americopedia. If you want respect
from non-Americans, show their language and spellings some respect. And get
a sense of humour.

JT.