[WikiEN-l] Conventions and movie vs. film

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 18:51:12 UTC 2003

>On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 09:35, The Cunctator wrote:
> > We actually did have a big discussion about this and film ended up being
> > nixed because of the problem of digital videa replacing actual film as
>the
> > medium for "films". Thus, "movie".

If that is the case, then surely 'movie', a word linked with the silent
world of moving pictures, should be replaced on wiki by 'talkie'.

And if the Cunctator's assertion is correct, then we need to change it.
Non-Americans do not generally use the word 'movie'. It is a word only
occasionally used outside the US and usually applied to heavily Americanised
Hollywood-ised blockbusters; Bruce Willis saves the world, gets the girl and
wisecracks his way to the conclusion, with the promise of 5 sequels and
billions of dollars of merchandising to come. In fact 'movie' is used
internationally in relation to 'film' the way 'fast food' is used in
relation to 'cuisine'. Stuff by Quentin Tarantino is often described as
'film' whereas something with Arnie, Sly or that genre is invariably a
'movie'. And anyone ever heard of a 'movie noir'?

JT