[WikiEN-l] Zog is back as Anti-Zog

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 11:55:24 UTC 2003

>From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com>
>To: wikien-l at wikipedia.org
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Zog is back as Anti-Zog
>Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 04:33:20 -0700
>
>I think we need to revisit having the ability for sysops to ban logged
>in users.  Maybe the wiki way of doing this is to put the ability into
>the software, but all sysops must agree to use it *only* to ban
>*certain* variants on a known banned troll.
>
>In the current case, it seems clear to me that banning Zog, Anti-Zog,
>Baboon Mouth, JamesERay, and so on, should be done virtually
>instantly, so as to discourage the behavior.

I agree. But how do we implement it? We could create the concept of a
"trusted user", perhaps defined in terms of number of edits and joining
date. If a user is not "trusted", a sysop can ban him/her. But ideally the
sysop should be able to also block the IP address. Here's an idea: maybe the
IPs of users could be available to sysops, but in encrypted form. So instead
of banning 152.163.189.233, we ban 675C4216 (possibly using slightly better
encryption than that).

-- Tim Starling.