[WikiEN-l] The "Young and Innocent" page

Jason Williams jason at jasonandali.org.uk
Thu May 1 13:43:47 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 06:10:39AM -0700, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Jason Williams wrote:
> > Why is it so? Why is the principle that American and British English
> > have equal status abandoned here? Why is the ugly "movie" explicitly
> > preferred over the perfectly good "film"?
>
> That "movie" is ugly is a pretty ad hoc aesthetic judgment, don't you
> think?

Of course; since it's quite obviously subjective I assumed people
would assume that I was stating it as such :-)  I wasn't trying
to argue for wholesale replacement of "movie" by "film", just the
same admirable agnosticism that is applied across the rest of
the wikipedia.

> At any rate, perhaps there was a discussion somewhere about this?

I expect so, but I couldn't find it by googling the mailing list
archives and there isn't a Talk page corresponding with
[[Wikipedia:Naming conventions (movies)]].

--
jason at jasonandali.org.uk    http://www.jasonandali.org.uk/jason/