[WikiEN-l] weekeepeedee-uh Libel

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Mar 31 05:09:03 UTC 2003

Stevertigo wrote:

>Sean wrote:

>>Dan wrote:

>>>According to the constitution of the united states,
>>>libel should be solved out of the courts simply by
>>>notifying everyone of the incorrect information.

>>Oh, really?  Which article would that be?

>The idea I think Dan is getting at is 'good faith' - If a good faith effort
>isnt made to deal with the issue.. vis a vis.. a retraction, etc... then a
>judge is likely to view the issue as beneath the court.

IANAL, but this sounds correct to me.
However, such court practices would derive from case law;
I'm sure that the US Constitution says nothing directly about it.
(That said, the 1st Amendment may be seen as lending support for it,
and a court might cite the spirit of that amendment in a decision.)

So the idea is probably right,
it's just not clear-cut in the consitution's text.

-- Toby