[WikiEN-l] Re: copyright on photos (was: a friendly challeng)

koyaanis qatsi obchodnakorze at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 19:15:11 UTC 2003

Richard Grevers

>In general, if you are approaching someone for
> permission to use a photo they own the rights of,
they
> need to understand that once on Wikipedia it is free

> for anyone else to use within the terms of the
license.
> And if you really want a photo of a Koala, I have
one
> I took myself, which I amd happy to release, also
> kangaroos, wombats and a dingo.

This is the way to go, I think.  I've been very
hesitant about the "fair use" photos from the
beginning, and would very much prefer people take
their own or use photos from various sources in the
public domain.  The NOAA and NASA have some striking
photos, but of course those won't cover every
situation.

If I lived in New York, like Mr. Poor, I can assure
you there would be a wide array of photos of various
famous figures in the 'pedia.  *That's* where the
current need is, since AFAIK the various
counterintelligence agencies are the only agencies
making it a point to photograph famous people.  And,
for some reason, they don't usually release their
dossiers to the public.

kq