[WikiEN-l] Re: A Friendly Challenge to Sheldon Rampton

cprompt cprompt at tmbg.org
Fri Mar 21 05:26:33 UTC 2003

 >I'm not an attorney, but U.S. copyright law, as spelled out in 17 USC
107, says that "fair use of a
 > copyrighted work...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news
reporting, teaching..., scholarship, or
 > research, is not an infringement of copyright." It goes on to specify
the following criteria to be used in
 > judging whether the use made of a work constitutes fair use:

You seem familiar with copyright law. I have considered making Wikipedia
a little prettier by finding suitable pictures for some articles. If I
find a photograph of, say, a koala, and I want to add it to [[Koala]],
is that permissable (if I can attribute the photo)?