[WikiEN-l] We should not stifle legitimate scientific discussion

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Mar 20 16:04:59 UTC 2003

Robert wrote:

>It was proposed that the term "pseudoscience" has no
>validity, and it was clearly implied that this word is
simply a hateful attack, like "kike" or "nigger".

It's not a question of validity, but of whether Wikipedia
articles should flatly categorize any particular idea or
system as "pseudoscience".

My reading of Jimbo's NPOV policy is that the Wikipedia
should avoid drawing conclusions where there is signifi-
cant disagreement. Thus, I would prefer to see articles
on, say, chiropractic, say something like:

* "The Western medical establishment dismisses
  chiropractic as pseudoscience."

This clearly attributes the point of view (or POV) to its
advocate, leaving Wikipedia neutral on the issue.

Blandly,

Uncle Ed