[WikiEN-l] Disclaimers (was Medical Disclaimer)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 13:06:37 UTC 2003

Eclecticology wrote:
>Jesse Alter wrote:
>
>> *DISCLAIMER*
>>
>>    Please remember that Wikipedia is offered for informational use
>>    only. The information is in most cases not reviewed by
>>    professionals. You are advised to contact your doctor for
>>    health-related decisions.
>>
>> Should we be adding disclaimers like that to most of the articles?
>> Do we even need a disclaimer? If so, I think it should be
>> somewhere else, like on the front page, and not on each article
>> we have. I can only imagine seeing the big red disclaimer on
>> [[Food Poisoning]], [[Peyronie_disease]], [[Gingivitis]], [[Cancer]],
>> and [[Chiropractic medicine]] :-P
>>
>> I thought of removing the disclaimer from each of the
>> Hepatitis articles but decided I should get a consensus
>>here, first.
>
>The disclaimer is in the right place.

I disagree. We should have one page on Wikipedia that has all our disclaimers
on it and this page should be linked from the non-editable bottom area on
each page (in the same way as [[Wikipedia:Copyrights]] is linked from every
page). This is standard practice for large web sites.

There are at least several different disclaimers floating around Wikipedia
that we should consolidate into one page. We should also add a legal
disclaimer to the mix.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma
The usual at [[March 14]]