[WikiEN-l] Chris Mahan's inappropriate comments

Robert rkscience100 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 18:47:42 UTC 2003

Please ask Chris Mahan to stop making false accusations
about me.  I do not like being wrongly accused of altering
other people's comments, and then being threatened with a
ban for the "sin" of having a different point of view than
a Sysop. That is a gross violation of Wiki Sysop
priviliges.

Chris Mahan writes:
> Maybe you should stick to writing scientific papers and
> leave WP to other, more cooperative people. (By the way,
> if you remove, alter, or misinterpret this comment,
> I'll email Jimbo and have you banned.) Christopher Mahan

Source: Talk:Chiropractic_medicine

So I am now banned if I misinterpret this threat? What kind
of twisted logic is that?

Note that this attack on me came in response to a
discussion on a topic of which he apparently has done no
reading; except for me (sadly!) mosy of the contributors
seem totally unfamiliar with the scientific literature.
(Why can't we get more contributors who study the
literature?)

Example of NPOV:  We don't let people ignorant of advanced
mathematics vandalise our articles by saying "This
mathemathical conjecture has been proven", when in fact the
conjecture has never been proven. Similarly, we should not
let alternative-health advocates imply that certain claims
have been proven true, when no scientific evidence exists.

When discussing the effectiveness of a proposed technique,
we are obligated by intellectual honesty (and NPOV) to
discuss the mainstream scientific consensus on the issue,
and explain why this consensus exists.  This is especially
true in cases where the proposed technique has been proven
to sometimes lead to spinal injury, strokes, and some
deaths.

(And again, remember that chirpractic medicine is NOT the
same as the more limited use of medical spinal
manipulation.)

RK

=====
"I prefer a wicked person who knows he is wicked, to a righteous person who knows he is righteous".
The Seer of Lublin [Jacob Isaac Ha-Hozeh Mi-Lublin, 1745-1815]