[WikiEN-l] a more "confident" username

Daniel Ehrenberg name12323 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:55:03 UTC 2003

>please describe in your own words how you think the current process of
>page deletion, page protection and IP banning works. If you name the right
>pages and describe the process correctly, I have no objections to making
>you a sysop.

Y'know, this isn't that good a test because I could have just looked it up.
Anyway, IP banning keeps vandals out of wikipedia.  When one person from a
consistant IP address keeps vandalizing pages, his IP address is banned by a
sysop.  After that, his computer can't go to wikipedia anymore, which he can
get around by using a different computer, but more importantly, he is
detered.  In page protection, a sysop decides to protect a page from vandals
by making it a protected page.  After that, only another sysop can edit that
page.  An example of this is the home page, which, before it was protected,
was frequently vandalized.  In page deletion,  a sysop decides that a page
is worthless and that they don't want it there.  The sysop deletes the page
permenantly and then all records of the page are deleted from the server.
An example of this is the contravercial [[Fuck you]] page.