[WikiEN-l] Problems with Susan Mason

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Mon Mar 10 12:02:53 UTC 2003

Oliver Pereira wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>("racist", Susan Mason's word, is indefensible, I agree.)

>I know that defending Susan Mason is very much a minority pursuit around
>here, but I should point out that at no point on [[Talk:Idolatry]] (where
>this all started) did Susan accuse anyone of racism. I've just checked all
>of this user's edits on that page, to make sure.

Then I owe Susan an apology.
What I was trying to do was to draw a contrast
between the neutral word "segregation" and the value-laden word "racism".
(Segregation is not racism, except of course for segregation by race.)
It's not really relevant whether anybody actually called anyone a racist.
The point is, if people are not charging one with bigotry,
then one shouldn't be offended as if they were.

>Susan's statement was of course badly worded, but I don't see it as an
>accusation of racism, myself: it's about what writing systems one uses,
>not about what race one belongs to. And please let's not argue about
>whether or not one *could* interpret as racist. My point is that Susan
>didn't use the word "racist", and the statement can be interpreted in
>other ways.

In fact, this is basically my point. ^_^

>P.S. - Jimbo and Toby - don't take this as a personal criticism. You're
>both great people, and it's just unfortunate that your messages were the
>ones I found to use as examples...

I'll take it as a *correction*, not a *criticism*.
And thanks for the compliment.

-- Toby