Stevertigo sysop? (was: [WikiEN-l] automatic sysopping)

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Sun Mar 9 01:21:06 UTC 2003

>Vicki quipped:
>And, if I read it right, used "Christian" to mean "English".

Look, nearly every Westernized name has a "meaning," often rooted in
Judeo-Christian mythos... Steven means 'Crowned' - Vicki means something
else, I used to know what Danny meant, "Michael" might stand for 'pain in
the butt'.. but I digress...

Translating phonetics into a language that doesnt have Germanic/ Latin
phonetics is problematic. The S(sibilant)T(plosive) combination isnt found
in phonetic renderings of Kanji... Japanese would change it to 'Si-de' or
'Sa-ti-va' .. in Chinese 'Shi-ben' ... Korean, I dunno. Any translation to
Kanji requires a choice between the meaning or the phonetic.. Some do both
but...

Since most westernized names have long lost their original 'meaning' - Any
record of such meaning assigned to such name becomes relevant, should
"meaning" become relevant.  Entiendes? -  豎眩:sv