[WikiEN-l] Distasteful names - CrucifiedChrist

rednblack at alum.mit.edu rednblack at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 28 23:51:32 UTC 2003

If this is going to become such an issue, might I propose that, to avoid debate
in the future, we switch to UseRealNames (e.g., your handle is
FirstnameLastname, or FMLastname)? This, it seems to me, is the only clear way
to avoid arguments over what is, and isn't, offensive.  I see no reason to
avoid this; we can facilitate the process by either converting existing
usernames, or we can just leave it up to people to redirect as they deem
appropriate.

Of course, nothing prevents some jerk from choosing first name "Screw" and
last name "YerMama", but this would then be a clear violation of policy, and
we would not need to have these lengthy debates. If ever the situation comes
up where the unfortunate John Crapper contributes to wikipedia, we can deal
with such minutia then.

Thoughts?

SaurabhAsthana (Graft)

------
"We cannot buy the Sharon argument that his attacks are a reaction to the
Palestinian violence. And I don't blame the Israelis if they also don't accept
our arguments, that our violence is a reaction to the Israeli violence."
--Ghassan Khatib, PA minister of labor