[WikiEN-l] Distasteful names - CrucifiedChrist

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jan 28 12:12:43 UTC 2003

I've decided to take a hardline on such names.  Some will gripe that
their freedom of speech is being restricted, but I think that's pretty
silly.  Wikipedia is not the right place to get your jollies by
tweaking people.  And if you have some political message you want to
get across you can just write a biased article, ha ha.

(Seriously, my point is that wikipedia is not the place for such
things.  The user pages are pretty much laissez-faire, anyway.)

To be fair, if we're not going to allow CRUCIFIEDCHRIST, we probably
can't allow a number of other polemical names, even ones that are not
offensive to most people.  For example 'GhandiIsGreat'.

> I know we have a problem sometimes with badly chosen names (to put it
> mildly!). One I have heard some comment about is CRUCIFIEDCHRIST which I
> agree is in very bad taste, as it appears to mock the beliefs of many Wiki
> users. (Either that or it is someone with a Woodrow Wilson-style Christ
> complex!) It would be as unacceptable as if someone called themeselves
> BUSHWARMONGER, LAPDOG BLAIR or BELSEN.

Well, "Belsen" is a real name, in addition to being a concentration
camp.  So *if* someone has that name, for real, and if it was not
intended to be political.

--Jimbo