[WikiEN-l] Distasteful names - CrucifiedChrist

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jan 28 07:48:38 UTC 2003

On lun, 2003-01-27 at 22:47, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:37:11PM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
> >CG used a number of login names from the same IP, including this one.
> >All things considered, I'd say it's a huge improvement.
>
> Blasphemy is as offensive as lewdness.  He is still trying to
> deliberately provoke and offend people; hardly what I would consider a
> "collegial spirit of mutual respect".

The problem with these names is the disruption caused by other
Wikipedians taking offense at them.

"Cumguzzler" received acrid complaints within hours and generated pages
of screed *entirely from other people debating its lack of merits*
within a couple days of its first appearence, while "CrucifiedChrist"
has been used for almost two weeks *without a peep* from anyone until
today.

In my book, that's a huge improvement. Now please stop feeding the
trolls; we've got an encyclopedia to work on.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)