[WikiEN-l] "Best of" lists

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sat Jan 25 12:00:59 UTC 2003

on 1/24/03 5:07 PM, Erik Moeller at erik_moeller at gmx.de wrote:

> Do we have a policy on "best of" lists?
>
> A page "List of best physicists" was quickly deleted. It consisted of
> several such lists, some of them with a reference, others without it.
> Similarly, our anonymous "year in music" user added several "<year> in
> KROQ" pages (KROQ being a radio station); those were also deleted. In case
> 2 I agree without reservation, in case 1 I think it might have been
> rewritten to be useful (perhaps under the title "Lists of best .." rather
> than "List of best ..").
>
> In both cases, we have authorities who are being cited as selecting
> information from a larger sample.

> There could also be "Lists of best science fiction stories",

There are. Several of them in fact, even a website that incorporates most of
them into a grading system. (although I can't find it right now by
googling).  Despite being ultimately based on opinion, the information is of
enclyclopedic quality and is useful, for example, in selecting books for a
library collection. No reason we couldn't have an article on the subject.

Fred