[WikiEN-l] A few choice words from DW

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Fri Jan 24 10:32:50 UTC 2003

Tom Parmenter wrote:

>Whatever the value of DW's suggestion for tabular formats for
>biographical entries, DW (Arthur's little sister?) did not respond to
>my invitation to discuss it on [[Wikipedia_talk:Manual of Style]].  He
>had suggested it on some random biographical talk page.  With all due
>respect for Zoe, her talk page is not the place to rewrite the Manual
>of Style either.
>
>I think, by the way, that the idea is a poor one, and spending a lot
>of time altering biographical entries to remove significant
>biographical information from the first paragraph is a poor use of
>time and energy.  But I am willing to discuss it, and I imagine others
>would be to, in the right place.

Not the first time DW has been rude to people.

However, he may have a point about the opening of bio articles. I tend
to prefer the "minor sentence" format, something like

NAME (dates), occupation(s)

but "occupation(s)" could feasibly be more than 1 word, eg  "best known
for his love poems to camels".