[WikiEN-l] Things that bother me

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Tue Jan 21 17:38:49 UTC 2003

Jimbo wrote:
>4.  And finally, there is a class of decisions that weighs heavily on
>me, namely decisions about banning.  My pleasant demeanor may not
>reveal how much I agonize over these, in *both* directions.  Some
>mornings I wake up in a mood to ban everyone.  Other mornings I wake
>up in a mood that says that everyone can be saved.  So I have to think
>and worry a lot about these.  Despite the difficulty, though, I like
>doing it well enough for now.  But someday I might be exhausted by it,
>and might prefer a more broad-based procedure.

This part of it is, to me, really a pain in the ass.  Some people come
to wikipedia with the wrong idea; others come with the right idea but
the wrong delivery, and can be converted, others can't; a few get it
immediately and set about doing excellent work.  An equally few get it
immediately and latch on like a tick.  The trolls and the wackos are
tiresome; banning is imperfect; unending tolerance seems damaging both
to the content and the community; showing too little tolerance
preserves the content but changes both the project and the community.
 I don't want wikipedia to become a tux-and-tails place, but I'd also
respect the decision to toss out the occasional layabout.  In any
case, I don't see any solution.  This is a problem for people smarter
& more experienced than I.

kq

wikikarma:  [[san Marino]] pages