[WikiEN-l] Re: Limits to fiction

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Mon Jan 20 18:30:06 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Well, I was referring to articles about fiction, not articles that *are*
>fiction. The latter are generally not tolerated on Wikipedia. A separate
>fiction-pedia (storypedia?) might indeed make sense, but be careful
>not to try too
>many projects at the same time. It's not like there's any shortage of fiction
>on the net ...

Point taken. I guess I misunderstood. I read your posting from a week
or two ago about "micronation fantasies" and got the impression that
people were starting to use Wikipedia as an outlet for their creative
and humorous impulses.

It's true there's no shortage of fiction on the net, but finding
*quality* fiction is comparable to finding quality encyclopedia-like
information.

The impressive thing about Wikipedia, from my point of view, isn't
that it makes it possible to *post* articles. (Millions of web sites
do that.) The impressive thing is that it makes it possible to
collaborative *edit* and *improve* articles. It seems that this model
ought to be applicable to any number of non-encyclopedia applications.
--