[WikiEN-l] Obscene user names

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 09:26:28 UTC 2003

Below is a question posed on the Village pump about obscene user names. Yep,
we've got another one.

==Obscene user names==
I see that with the advent of [[User:Cumguzzler|Cumguzzler]] we are probably
in for a rerun of the TMC nonsense. Is there clear policy on this? There
should be. It should be that obscene user names are not allowed and that
accounts using them will be deleted. This should be made clear when people
are signing up for accounts. [[User:Cumguzzler|Cumguzzler]] should be deleted
immediately. Iam sorry to sound both angry and prescriptive about this but I
think we have been through this debate before and we are, or should be, too
busy building an encyclopedia to mess around with the feeble arguments about
civil liberties which will now undountedly ensue. The funny thing is that
when discussing this, some people are always very hot on the freedoms of
those who want to offend, and rather less concerned about the freedoms of
those who might be offended. I don't want to bring up Isis and TMC again
(well, OK, I just did), but you have to ask yourself, what's it worth?
[[User:138.37.188.109|138.37.188.109]] 09:02 Jan 13, 2003 (UTC)

:Yes there is a policy on this: No offensive user names. I'll forward your
complaint to the [[Wikipedia mailing list]]. You are right in that this needs
to be made clear when people sign-up. --[[User:Maveric149|mav]]

:Thanks! Oh and (trivially but hey) btw try setting up a new account with an
existing name. The error message in red needs a space between "Choose" and
"A" in "please choosea different name" (or whatever the exact wording is.).
Thanks again, [[User:138.37.188.109|Anonymous disgruntled user :)]]

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma Payment. Have you had your Wiki today?
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=January_12&diff=581011&oldid=581002
I also updated every year page and most of the other pages linked from that
page (sorry for spamming Recent Changes with the updates....)