[WikiEN-l] The Lir situation

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 19:32:54 UTC 2003

For some unfathomable reason, people want to allow Lir to come back.  Why, is beyond me.  He has been nothing but disruptive since he first came onto the scene.  See the Talk page on [[Iowa State University]] for Lir's very first comments on Wikipedia, in which he called people who disagreed with him morons and specifically said that a dean at Iowa State was a liar for disputing a quote Lir attributed to him.  It's also worth noting that Lir tried to delete the Talk page, but I've restored it so people can see just what he had to say.

His next forary into collegiality was his attempt to make us believe that Christopher Columbus's sole reason for visiting America was to take slaves.  We also encountered a long edit war in which Lir insisted that the article be at [[Cristobal Colon]] (with accent marks I'm not going to try to reproduce here).  He then went into a crusade to rename all places and people by the names they're known in their native languages, instead of by the names they're known to English speakers, even though this is the English wikipedia.  He has never made any attempts to be polite, cordial or cooperative, but insists that only his way can prevail.

When he was finally banned, he went outside the Wikipedia and tried to make people believe, on his personal blog page and elsewhere, that he was banned for his politics, not for his personality and inability to cooperate with others.  So then he came back as Vera Cruz, and continued his lack of cooperation.  Even 172, someone who has the same sort of personality as Lir/Vera Cruz/Adam/Bridget, found him impossible to work with on the [[New Imperialism]] page, even though at first the two of them were allies against those of us who wanted to keep the page NPOV and useful.

And now he claims he's repentant and won't behave in the same manner.  I find it hard to believe, but for some reason, the rest of you think he's reformed.  I've had a long night thinking about this.  At first, I felt that if you thought it was more important to have Lir here than me, that fine, I'd leave and you could have him, and more power to you.  But I've decided that was childish, and I apologize to everybody for saying that.

However ...

If you let Lir back, I'd like to be a sysop.  I've avoided asking for the authority before, even though some people have encouraged me to do it.  But I know that Lir will be as disruptive as before, and I want to be able to deal with him.  I promise I will be on my best behavior, and will not act abruptly.  If you grant me this authority, then I'll go along with the odd request that Lir be allowed to come back.  But if he continues to disrupt, and people don't step in to get rid of him for good, then I do swear I will leave, and I'm not just blowing smoke this time.

Zoe