[WikiEN-l] *sigh* it's sunday and the nuts are here

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Nov 25 10:48:54 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>This isn't anything new. "Wikipedia is an encyclopedia" is our third most
>important policy. That means that we don't include the entire gene sequences
>of organisms, source code for entire free-software programs and yes pi to one
>billion places (or anything above 40 places for that matter).

agreed. you and I and many others here understand what is meant by that.
Seems some people don't.

>These things have and should continue to be deleted right away and without any
>apology. I am surprised that the pi to x places entries weren't deleted right
>away.

I would gladly delete those pages right now.
But I fear that Fonzy and Lir will resurrect them, and we'll have
another edit war on our hands.
Then again, we've explained over and over and OVER again why they are
not material for an encyclopedia, and Fonzy & Olivier just don't seem to
get it, and Lir (IMO) is just trolling.
What's the correct course of action? an interminable debate on deletion,
or an interminable delete/create war?

>Focus people! We are building an encyclopedia. Granted a huge one, but an
>encyclopedia nonetheless.

Yup.