[WikiEN-l] Re: What we need

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Nov 21 12:44:38 UTC 2002

Jonathan Walther wrote:
> In the sense that I have read the standard works by Berkman, Proudhon,
> and similar, and am in agreement with them.

Right, well, I don't think that's the sense in which Larry intended the
term.  (Nor did he intend it in the sense of "anarchocapitalism".)

> Not in the other sense of nihilist "I can do whatever I want, let's
> go blow some stuff up, yay!"

I think this is more or less the sense he intended.  I think a good
way to put it would be "I'm opposed to all standards!  Isn't random
crap just as informative as so-called thoughtful articles anyway?"

> As long as you are here to enforce the banning policy you just posted, I
> am happy with the status quo as it is.  It really can take a while
> sometimes to figure out if someone is sincerely trying to work with us,
> or just yanking our chain.

I'm going to continue to be guilty of waiting a bit too long.

> Thank you for your time and patience working on the Wikipedia, Jimmy.

Oh, I don't do nearly as much as most of the regulars.  My job is to
sit here and reflect on what people are saying, and then to repeat it
in such a way that it seems like I thought of it.  ;-)

As Linus Torvalds likes to say "I'm basically a very lazy person who
likes to get credit for things other people actually do."

:-)

--Jimbo