[WikiEN-l] What's in a name (was: anglicization is stupid)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Nov 20 22:42:08 UTC 2002

I think the purpose behind the convention is:
* put things where people can find them
* let people know the "correct" names

To fulfill these 2 principles, we several various naming conventions, as well as the redirect feature and disambiguation pages.

For English speakers (our target audience), Roma means gypsies and Rome is a city in Italy.

Of course English is not the only Wikipedia language. The Italian Wikipedia (when and if we get one) will call the Italian city something else (like 'Roma').

We can't yet write a single article with multiple translations, so we have divided up the work into several related 'pedias. But each 'pedia tries to put things where people can find them, as well as let people know the "correct" names for them.

Ed Poor