[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Shared resources

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Dec 29 18:23:04 UTC 2002

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Expanding an idea by fonzy, I have created a skeleton for Wikipedians to
>organize the sharing of information from proprietary resources. See
>
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3AShared_resources
>
>The current text that is there:
>
>This page is a reference for Wikipedians in need of certain proprietary
>information resources (encyclopedias, CD-ROM archives, expensive books
>etc.). The page has a section of resources that are offered and one of
>resources that are wanted. These sections are separated into subsections
>for specific resource types.
>
>Feel free to offer any type of resource, but please understand that this
>page is not intended to facilitate copyright violation -- "shared
>resource" implies that you are willing to make use of that resource for
>someone else, in your own time. Please provide as much detail as possible
>about:
>
>    * version of the resource
>    * storage form of the resource (paper, CD-ROM, online archive etc.)
>
>It is assumed that these resources are available to you for free or that
>you are willing to cover any costs. Users should note that these shared
>usage offers, unless otherwise noted, are only valid for Wikipedia
>purposes.
>
>Please add your own resources in the appropriate section.

Along the same line, I've often found interesting web sites which I've
bookmarked for later reference when I can focus my attention on the
subject matter.  Several months later when I'm ready ... poof! it's
gone.  Some of these have useful information, and it's a shame that it
becomes lost because somebody didn't pay his ISP bill.

These sites are covered by copyright, so for the most part we just can't
copy the material onto Wikipedia and make it available to the public.
 Still it  could be in the public interest to copy material from
threatened sites into a restricted access file where it could be revived
if and when the original site could no longer be maintained.  It would
be a lot easier to come to a conditional release agreement while the
site is still functioning than after it has gone under.

Eclecticology