[WikiEN-l] Proposal: make summary mandatory

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Fri Dec 27 17:40:39 UTC 2002

Axel Boldt wrote in part:

>* it makes the job of vandals and vandal bots harder, since they have
>to come up with a meaningful summary each time.

No, they don't -- unless you know of an algorithm
that we can used to detect whether a summary is meaningful.
UseModWiki's "*" default isn't empty, after all --
and "mispeeling" must always work, so they can just use that
(and look like long-time users that know the inside jokes
while they're at it).

>* it makes the history page of an article vastly more useful; now I
>often find myself employing the bisection method to find out when a
>particular bit of information was inserted.

How about when I just write "Much." in the summary?

-- Toby