[WikiEN-l] Re: Proposal: make summary mandatory

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Fri Dec 27 15:55:56 UTC 2002

|From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
|Sender: wikien-l-admin at wikipedia.org
|Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 01:06:28 -0800
|
|On Thursday 26 December 2002 04:00 am, Tom Parmenter wrote:
|> Rule or no rule, an empty summary field is bad manners.
|>
|> You can always cut and paste something from your change.  The
|> statement that writing a summary can be more onerous than making the
|> change is ludicrous.
|>
|> Tom Parmenter
|> Ortolan88
|
|Not when fixing formatting. Having to fill-in an edit summary would
|significantly slow me down so I definitely would object to having to perform
|the needless keystrokes for these mundane changes. However, when I do make an
|edit worth documenting I do so nearly every time and if anything I over
|document. This should stay a 'rule to consider' for at least logged-in users.

If you are slowed down by typing "markup fixes" I suggest drinking
coffee.  If the fixes are mundane, that's what I put in, and usually
make the change Minor.

If the changes are more substantive, I usually take the opportunity to
explain what I am doing "alternate form of article title bolded", or
"album titles in italics, songs in quotes" so that they will appear in
Recent Changes and perhaps pass along the knowledge to someone else.

Rule or no rule, an empty summary statement is bad manners.  The
statement that writing a summary can be more onerous than making the
change is ludicrous.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88

|It would be OK by me if this was a requirement for non-logged-in users (along
|with taking-away their ability to mark edits as minor). Anything to slow the
|rate of useless experiment page creation AND give non-logged-in users another
|reason to log-in or at least use the preview function is a good thing.

|-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)