[WikiEN-l] Proposal: make summary mandatory

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Dec 25 02:00:00 UTC 2002

> I would like to propose that we make filling out the summary field
> mandatory on ever edit.

This has been brought up before and rejected, don't bother us again.

Just kidding, to let you know what a warm, fuzzy feeling this kind of
reaction creates :-). It actually was debated earlier either on one of the
mailing lists or policy pages and considered harmful for several reasons.
It's not necessarily a bad idea, but I suggest the following
modifications:

- allow an empty summary line for minor edits
- disallow minor edits for users who are not logged in.

Also, I believe we should keep our policies as consistent as possible over
all Wikipedias. If other Wikipedias don't want it, we should ask why and
try to find a solution they can agree to (or hold a vote ;-).

All best,

Erik