[WikiEN-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia and anti-Semitism

elian elian at gmx.li
Mon Dec 16 00:48:14 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:

> elian wrote:
> > It seems to me that he really has NPOV in mind, but is too mangled in his
> > hatred against anything he considers as anti-semitic to realize how biased
> > his own writings are.
>
> I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you about RK, because I haven't
> read much of the relevant writings, but I suspect that virtually
> everyone has some "hot button" issue where NPOV writing will be
> difficult.

You will get a good impression at
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AIslam_and_anti-Semitism
and its corresponding article.

After this discussion - and I thank all the people who tried - I can
understand why no one wants to get involved in these topics anymore.

> Certainly good advice.  Unfortunately, it is also true that people
> tend to know a lot about their "hot button" issues, and therefore have
> the ability to write a lot about them.

Of course, but it is all filtered knowledge, focussed on one specific
item. It is a bit like the fanatic feminist who asks in every book she is
reading: and how was this philosophers/writers/musicians attitude towards women?

> > Better be anti-Arab, it is politically a lot more opportune...
>
> Better, still, of course, is to not get involved on the level of
> advocacy at all.

Nice wish, but we _are_ already involved.

BTW: have you ever thought about how to ensure that the international
Wikipedias follow a NPOV-policy? And what the possible risks are if they
don't do?

greetings,
elian
--
where will microsoft try to drag you today?
do you really want to go there?