[WikiEN-l] My proposal

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Dec 14 00:18:42 UTC 2002

Jimmy Wales wrote to The Cunctator in part:

>Suppose we commit to a very light moderation, by me, which you said
>you could accept, with others helping out by doing approvals of posts.
>AND we commit to setting up and testing a bbs system as you've
>proposed several times in the past.

Can we try all of these things at once?:
* Moderate <wikien-l> under your proposal,
  so that nothing is rejected unless it's rejected by you.
* Send an unfiltered version of <wikien-l> to someplace on the WWW
  (possibly our archives, or perhaps even better Gmane).
* Move <wikipedia-l> to the sort of BBS system that Cunc likes,
  in a way that's compatible with both using wiki markup in posts
  and continuing to read the list with a mail reader like emacs or mutt.

I still don't see the *need* for moderation -- or Cunc's BBS --
but I'm perfectly willing to try all of these.

So long as Jimmy remains the only person capable of rejecting a post,
I will also agree to anybody's being a moderator,
although we should still avoid people (like Larry and Cunc)
that often arouse ire in others (like Cunc and Larry, respectively ^_^),
preferring the less controversial, more easygoing folks
like mav, Ed, KQ, -- April, Magnus, Lee, ... I'm forgetting a few.
But that's no longer so vital.

We still need to discuss the standards that will be used for moderation.
(And of course, there are other objectors remaining besides The Cunctator,
so we need to hear if they will agree to the trial too.)

-- Toby