[WikiEN-l] My proposal

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Dec 13 11:21:07 UTC 2002

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:
> What would keep the "approvers" from ignoring a valuable message
> without consequence?  Suppose all approvers came to dislike a poster
> and all independently decided to ignore the poster, but the poster had
> something valuable to say?

Well, I think I can answer these concerns.

First, any one approver can send message onward to the list.  So the
conspiracy of silence would have to be unanimous.

Second, I pledge to log in at least once per day, weekdays, to process
all the remainders.  (Possibly the list will be made unmoderated on
the weekends?  Or the approvers can be more generous on the weekends.)

Third, any post that I reject will give the poster the option of
INSISTING that it be published as-is, subject only to whatever legal
liability I might face if it's really awful (like a death threat).

Fourth, wikipedia-l will remain unmoderated, so anyone who feels that
I've been cruel can squawk about it over there, unhindered.

Do those safeguards address your concerns sufficiently?