[WikiEN-l] Ed Poor's sysop status

Digital Addictions Software digitaladdictions at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 00:10:28 UTC 2002

I have been reading the discussion on freezing Ed Poor's Sysop status with much
interest and I thought I'd weigh in a few thoughts.  First of all I think it
would be a mistake to freeze them as I believe Ed does an exceptional job at
sysop stuff.  But in the event of an edit war that gets out of hand, what are
you to do?  Assuming that it has moved past the ability for discussion to fix
anything, one option is to ban the person making the problems.  Another
solution is to protect a page.  It seems to me that the latter solution is more
reasonable as it is quite temporary and the person in the edit war may only be
causing problems in that single area.  I know people say it is an abuse to
protect pages like that, but I've seen it used in other situations quite
effectively to get people to talk about it in the talk page rather than an edit
war.  But what do I know, I'm just a lowly wikipedian.
	Ram-Man