[WikiEN-l] Clutch is on a POV tirade

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 9 19:19:19 UTC 2002

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Here is one specific "case"... it's a small and trivial one as far as
> these things go, but telling.  It is my most recent experience; my
> earlier, more horrific experiences aren't described on this page because
> it would take too much time to write up.
>
>    http://reactor-core.org/~djw/diary-arc/20021129072842.html
>
> Want to hear the case of how a social worker in the state of Oregon aided
> and abetted a pedophile porn ring run by one of the state approved foster
> parents, and got away with it for more than 5 years?  The step-mom of
> one of the victims, a 6 year old girl, write up her experience.
>
> Then there are all the personal anecdotes.  When you are poor, you tend
> to hang out with other poor people.  And we talk to each other.  And
> everyone has stories about themselves, or about family members, friends,
> or coworkers who have been jerked around and abused by social workers.
>
> One such personal story: friend of mine was told by the social workers
> that if he and the wife wanted a night or a weekend off, there was a
> sort of transition house where they could leave the kids to be baby-sat
> for a while.  He decided to try it out one weekend.  That night the
> house called him and told him to bring his son home.  It turned out that
> a 9 year old girl with Downs syndrome had sexually molested this 4 year
> old boy, and he was "acting up" as a response.  But noone at the house
> would listen to the boy, nor did the social worker take any action on
> the matter.

These are all anecdotal evidence.  It's like trying to draw conclusions
from "I know somebody whose arthritis was cured by drinking snake oil."
or "I know somebody whose astrological sign was Leo, and he was insane."
 Knowing several people who fit these circumstances might seem to
strenghthen your conclusions, but still proves nothing.

Eclecticology