[WikiEN-l] [[Ireland]] and [[China]]

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 9 18:58:49 UTC 2002

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>"Where are you from?" "Korea." (this means 'South Korea', because as
>everyone knows, North Korea's travel restrictions are so severe that it
>is exceedingly rare for a North Korean to travel to the West or even
>communicate with a Westerner.)
>
>"Hey, Joe, where were you stationed in the army?" "Germany." (until
>1990, this meant 'West Germany', of course).

What makes these examples interesting is that they require somebody to
make assumptions.  We anticipate a correct assumption.  If the second
question were asked of a Russian immigrant, he could as truthfully
answer "Germany".  Did he serve in the army before or after immigration?

IMHO good encyclopedic writing should not put the reader in a position
to make erroneous assumptions.

>Please allow me to suggest one editorial policy that fits all four
>cases.
>* [[China]] => all of China, with links to [[PRC]] and [[ROC]]
>governments
>* [[Ireland]] => the entire emerald isle, with links to [[Republic of
>Ireland]] and [[Northern Ireland]] governments
>* [[Germany]] => the country, with links to (1) West Germany (defunct),
>(2) East Germany (defunct) and (3) whatever the heck the current
>government is calling itself.
>* [[Korea]] => the entire peninsula, with links to [[North Korea]] and
>[[South Korea]].

That's the way I see it.

>Most countries are not divided, so the main referent of [[this country]]
>needn't be strictly distinguished from the current government. For
>divided lands, however, the existence of divisions MUST NOT be hidden.
>Regardless of Wikipedians' opinions or wishes for the resolution of the
>various political conflicts, our job is describe what is there.

Congo will still need some explanation.