[WikiEN-l] Clutch is on a POV tirade

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Dec 9 17:42:01 UTC 2002

Tom Parmenter wrote:

>Ignorance is no defense of non-NPOV:
>
>1 - social worker -- employee of government agency, working under a
>budget and administering policies in the context of individuals having
>some kind of problem (sometimes with the government)
>2 - social worker -- employee of private social services agency
>working with individuals having some kind of problem
>3 - social worker -- employed by private agency providing
>psychotherapeutic support, often with problem solving included
>4 -- social worker -- self-employed, providing psychotherapeutic
>support under health insurance, often with problem solving included.
>
>All have weighty responsibilities, which means all have some
>opportunity/danger of doing harm.
>
>The amount of pen-pushing varies, but category 4, where my wife
>performs much of her social work, requires as much as any to appease
>the insurance companies.
>
>Tom Parmenter
>married to an L.I.C.S.W. (not an idiot, possibly more intelligent than
>Tarquin), former food-stamp recipient, currently unemployed, and
>Ortolan88

Apologies, Tom.
I meant type 1.
I'll tell you the long saga of me versus my local social services one
day. It will take a large number of beers (and ideally some
shadow-puppets for the action scenes!)
but it boils down to said social workers repeatedly quoting regulations
at me, despite my pointing out that they didn't apply to particular case
in question; and then them being unable to actually tell me which person
or body was responsible for the regulations' existence, and which person
or body had the power to overrule it -- since they seemd to timid to do so.
it took about 2 years for the whole thing to be sorted out.
... sigh ...

-- tarquin