[WikiEN-l] Clutch is on a POV tirade

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Mon Dec 9 14:24:18 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:45:02AM -0800, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>This discussion should probably proceed primarily on the Talk page for
>the article.
>
>However, it's worth noting that you wrote "Social workers are the foot
>soldiers of the ivory tower social engineers that governments and big
>businesses hire to keep the masses under control."

I have a valid and extensive historical basis for saying that, from the
history of Margaret Sanger, to the old English "work houses" and
religious charities like the Salvation Army, on to the modern behavior
of welfare workers in intruding on peoples privacy and human dignity as
a precondition to providing them with the necessities of life.  I could
go on for quite a while on the topic, showing all the evidence for that
view.  I see now that my view is not widely shared by the relatively
affluent contributors to the Wikipedia; and now that I think about it,
it is understandable given their lack of background.

To people with sufficient background, the above quote is not a
controversial statement.  I need to make clear that I wrote what I did
in good faith.  My intent wasn't to spark debate and make other people
do all the hard work by writing something egregiously POV.

>to simply delete it.  The Wikipdia itself should make no controversial
>claims.

People turn to encyclopedias for facts.  Once a fact is established, it
should present it, even if the Joe Sixpack may find the fact startling,
or contrary to what he expects.  Naturally in such cases we should give
enough detail so a person can verify these facts for themselves.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2