[Wikide-l] Stublöschung

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Di Dez 1 10:58:14 UTC 2009

Magnus Manske wrote:

> Das Beispiel zeigt aber einmal mehr, dass aus "Ein Satz zu einer
> Person geringer Relevanz" ein brauchbarer Artikel werden kann.
> Ob das nun innerhalb von ein paar Stunden, Tagen, Wochen oder
> Monaten passiert, ist nur von geringer Relevanz (pardon).

This is correct, and would be a valid argument if it was only
about one article. But the person who wrote a short stub requires
lots of other people to extend the article, and do we have enough
"other people" to do this? The stub creator, relieved of the
burden to create a full article, is encouraged to go on to create
more stubs, which require even more "other people" to enhance them
into full articles. These "other people" are the true wikipedians
who put a lot of time and energy into writing full articles, but
are they happy in the long run to be servants of these masters who
just create more stubs?

We should be more friendly to newcomers, but this also requires
the newcomers to be friendly in return by learning how to write
full articles. Often when I try to help newcomers (in the Swedish
Wikipedia), they turn into freeloaders (Trittbrettfahrer) who ask
for more of my help instead of becoming independent and helpful
wikipedians. Trying to assist newcomers is often a non-rewarding
experience.

I think we should see this exchange of friendliness as a bank
account. You get an initial loan, but they you have to pay back.
However, it is not obvious to a newcomer what their balance is.
Could the mentor program make this more obvious, more clear?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)