[Translators-l] Vector switchover

Cary Bass cary at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 17 22:19:47 UTC 2010

Hello Translators!

The following message is from the Usability team:

We're going forward with the next phase of rolling out the Usability
improvements and would like to request your help.  Planned are the
following two remaining phases:

* Phase IV (end of June): All Wikipedia projects that have at least 80%
of the messages in the new interface translated.  We're planning on
using the level of translation of as seen on wikiEditor column of the
translatewiki usability-stats spreadsheet [1]
* Phase V (end of July): All remaining projects

We'd like to do a translation push in preparation for switching on the
new interface.  There are two specific areas:

1.  Translate messaging:  the new interface includes some messaging that
is not contained in monobook.  For example, the updated toolbar has a
bunch of new messaging which needs to be translated.

2.  Translate launch communications (not required, but very nice to
have): We've been running a number of launch communications, including a
pre-launch site notice, post-launch site notice, New Features page,
FAQs, feedback page, etc.  These communications would need to be
translated if they are to appear in native languages.  We have been
using the default switch page [2] to track the translations of these
communications.

A note about feedback pages.  We'd very much like to receive feedback
from each of the different projects.  However, managing the feedback
from so many projects becomes a very difficult, especially if the
feedback is coming in from different languages.  So we're using one of
two methods for collecting feedback from each of the languages:

A.  Set up a feedback page on your project so that users can provide
feedback in your native language.  [3] is an example the feedback page
for German Wikipedia.  We've then been requesting someone from the
community summarize that feedback in English and placing that summarized
feedback on the centralized feedback page [4].  For previous default
switches, we've been working with Ambassadors from each of the projects
to help create this feedback page.
B.  Projects that do not have their own feedback page will have their
feedback directed to the central feedback page.  We're requesting that
all feedback be in English for our staff to read.

It would be great if we could get your help in preparing each of the
languages for the default switch.  Please let us know if you have any
questions.

[1] http://translatewiki.net/wiki/User:GerardM/usability-stats
[2] http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Releases/Default_Switch
[3] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Usability-Initiative/Feedback
[4]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2010_Wikimedia_design_and_feature_change/Feedback
--
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation