[Translators-l] Call for translation: WMF website housekeeping

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 00:42:47 UTC 2008

Hello,
Seasons greetings

Transcom is beginning a spring house keeping drive on Wikimedia
Foundation website [1]. We happily invite you to join this cleaning-up
and help renew pages or add new translations.

WMF site needs to be up-to-date, in every language ideally. By now WMF
site has its content in many languages. Some pages are available in
over 10 or even 20. But not every page is regularly updated. Some
contents are based on year old one or much older ones, like the
English version created in 2005. For example,
- Spanish Home Page (Portada) is based on September 2005 English version.
- Romanian and Italian Home Pages are based on an much earlier version.
- Korean page seems to be much older (2004?)
- Turkish and Finnish "About Wikimedia" were last modified in 2006,
and   thus not in form of FAQ.

We Transcom propose a schedule for cleaning-up as follows:
#0. This announcement
#1. Waiting phase (2 weeks, until April 7)
  We Transcom ask every translators to check their language pages, and
if they are outdated, to renew those pages. We expect you translators
to begin your work within 2 weeks ... you can jump in translation
directly or just say on this list "I'll take care of it very soon", if
you are willing to help.
#2. Determine outdated and abandoned pages (from April 8): if someone
works or will soon work on a page at that moment, we are happy to wait
for their translation.
#3. Turning those outdated and abandoned pages into soft redirects.
  Soft redirects will be template messages with a link to another
language version or more. We are thinking English versions, unless the
other language is recommended. We'll make a template for this purpose.
The draft is on meta [2]. An example of look and feel of French
version "sorry for your inconvenience template" is available  [2']
#4. Final review (May 21)
  There would be the pages which are not ready on April 8 but ongoing
or just said to be ready in  days. If no work is done at all by this
date, those pages will also be turned into redirect.

Cbrown1023 made a list of outdated pages [3], it will be a good start
to review your language pages.

Workspace for translation of each page may be found through
[[meta:Translation requests]] (aka [[m:TR]]). [4]

Questions and suggestions are welcome as always. You are welcome to
ask a question on this list, [[m:Meta talk:Babylon]] [5] or IRC
channel #wikimedia-translation. For general guidance about translation
on meta, [[m:Translation]] will be helpful. [6]

Happy translation!

  [1] http://wikimediafoundation.org
  [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/update_needed/en
  [2'] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/R%C3%A9solutions