[Toolserver-l] Toolserver goes I18N! (Naming)

Krinkle krinklemail at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:07:37 UTC 2011

Hi all,

As some of you may have heard, I'm currently working on a system that
will make it super easy
for developers on the toolserver to localize their tools with almost
no effort at all. More about
the techinical aspects of this early next week (or poke me on IRC).
I'm currently checking
with TranslateWiki what the best way is for them to handle it and
finding a balance so that
Toolserver developers will have minimal efforts and can focus on the
functionality (instead of on
the localization), and for TranslateWiki to not have to dig into any
kind of technical code.

In this thread I'm looking for a suitable name for the system. A few
ideas I came up with are below.
Let me know what you think about them and/or send in some other ones
you think are great!

If you like playing with words, this is your call to get creative!
I'm planning to pick the initial name [0] this weekend, so don't wait!

I've got three =names=, and about a dozen ==abbrevations/nicknames to
get you started.

= Internationalization (i18n) for Tools' User Interfaces at the
Toolserver

== Name: Ituit (or ITUIT)
(pronounce: " I tweet " or " Étui ")
Story: People communicate by talking, as birds do by tweeting -
preferably in their native
language while using the tools.

== Name: Toolserver Intuition
Origin: The word "Ituition" is ITUIT (previous name above) + " ion ".
Story: Peoples first "ituition" is to speak in their native language.

= Toolserver Localization System

When abbreviated as TLS it'll be confusing with the existing TLS/SSL
technology [2][3].
But the following may be possible derivatives / abbreviations :
* Tolocsy (or Tolloxy)
* Toolsy
* Tolcsy
* ..

= Internationalization for Toolserver's User Interface

== Name: Intoyui
(pronounce: " Into you " or " Into you and I ")
Story: The i18n system is into you / your native language!

== Name: ITUI
(pronounce: " i twee " or " Étui " [1][2] )
Story: This i18n is like a bag (French: etui) of messages.

== Name: IntoUI
(pronounce: " Into U ('you') I ")
Story: The tool intergrates into the UI (user interface) of toolserver
tools.

--
Those were the ideas I had so far.

Personally I like the rol of "Toolserver Intuition" and "ITUI" (etui).
What do you like and why ? Don't let any of the above limit your
imagination,
feel free to share any ideas you may have regarding the name.

Note: For questions, suggestions or other comments on the system
itself, please
respond to the mailing I'll send out early next week. I'm currently
investigating what aspects
to look at and how we can best intergrate this with TranslateWiki in
an as simple, flexible yet solid
way as possible. Feel free to poke me at IRC [4]

--
Krinkle

[0] I say initial name because we might change it later on, =
	but I prefer not to (due to account-, database and class names etc.).
[1] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/étui
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLS
[4] https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/IRC irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-toolserver