[Toolserver-l] Acceptability of MVC framework, general-use tools

Jesse (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:07:22 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm moving some external tools to the Toolserver. I have some questions to
help decide which tools are appropriate.

1. The terms of use <https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Rules> prohibit "large
web applications"; does this prevent the use of an MVC framework like
Kohana<http://kohanaframework.org/> to
serve tool pages? The framework has a fairly low footprint, is maintained by
an active community, and provides some nice security features (like rule-based
input validation<http://kohanaframework.org/3.1/guide/kohana/security/validation>)
which
I'd like to use in my scripts. I plan to use some URL-rewriting to serve the
pages, so there's no direct access to the underlying framework or MVC files.

2. The terms require that tools "be related to a designated affiliate
project". Does this prevent small general-use tools useful to Wikimedians,
like regular expression manipulation or set operations?

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse (Pathoschild)