[Toolserver-l] Internally calling the MediaWiki API on Toolserver

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat Feb 5 22:49:47 UTC 2011

Krinkle wrote:
> * Configure it in a special way so that one can use the same code for
> any wiki (ie. a $lang and $family variable of some kind)

The general idea seems fine. My only comment about this proposal is that the
lang/family combination is horrific and should never, ever be used. It ends
up requiring abominations such as lang=commons or lang=strategy, which is
completely nonsensical and completely avoidable. It also presents problems
in URLs when parameters such &lang=en get incorrectly auto-corrected by bad
programs/scripts/applications into ⟨.

Wikimedia separates its wikis by database name. Please use "db", "wiki", or
"site" (containing either the DB name or the URL) instead of family/language
hackery.

MZMcBride