[Toolserver-l] Backing up a user database

River Tarnell r.tarnell at IEEE.ORG
Wed Feb 2 12:20:26 UTC 2011

In article <AANLkTin7wxBCmGRiTvpo16A8jZgyD_s8+mA5qw-9ZX1V at mail.gmail.com>,
Carl (CBM) <cbm.wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
>I realized I have to make some character set changes on one of my user
>databases, and I want to make a backup before I start.

>I was planning to use mysqldump for this. Is there a better option
>that I'm overlooking?

Unlikely.

>Is there any reason that the output of 'mysqldump -hSERVER DATABASE'
>with no additional options would have problems restoring on the
>toolserver databases?

The only reason I've seen for this to fail is if you manually increase
the limit on the size of MEMORY tables, then dump and reimport the
tables; if the default limit is smaller, the import will fail.

I believe the maximum size of a MEMORY table is now the same as the
default limit (to stop people using up massive amounts of memory), so
this probably won't be an issue.

>Are there any subtle options that need to be set on mysqldump to make
>sure the output is usable in that environment?

In previous versions of MySQL it was necessary to use 'mysqldump
--default-character-set=latin1' if you had tables marked as Latin-1
which actually contained UTF-8 data.  Otherwise, the dump would be
corrupted and unusable.

I think this has been fixed (since MySQL now has partial Unicode
support), but it would probably not hurt to use it anyway if you have
such tables.

	- river.