[Toolserver-l] Accessing the toolserver from WP using Ajax

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Tue Feb 1 18:06:51 UTC 2011

Hi all!

what's the best way to get around the same original policy to fetch data from
the toolserver with a XMLHTTPRequest in a Wikipedia gadget? Is there a best
practice, a nice and easy, generally usable method? what would it take to make one?

I know that some gadgets have been doing this, but I also know that it's a bit
tricky. I think a general solution to this, documented somewhere, would make
life a lot easier... does something like this exist? if not, why not?

-- daniel

PS: while i'm at it, is there a wrapper function for XMLHTTPRequest in the
standard MEdiaWiki JS? I don't want to re-invent a sucky wheel :)