[Toolserver-l] How much wiki-data is too much?

Conrad Irwin conrad.irwin at gmail.com
Sat May 15 14:39:09 UTC 2010

I recently re-read the toolserver rools, and am concerned that
publishing definitions extracted from XML dumps of en.Wiktionary may
be in violation of rule 10.

# Tools may not serve significant portions of wiki page text to
clients. "Significant" means distributing actual page content; for
example, installing MediaWiki to serve the text of wikis would not be
allowed, but showing a short extract to provide context for a tool
would be okay.

Could someone please clarify whether this precludes publishing lots of
short extracts combined? I had intended to (eventually) publish
similar dumps of other information in Wiktionary (such as the
Translations), so it would be nice to check that this is permitted on
the toolserver, or whether I have to find some alternative hosting.

The current output is at http://toolserver.org/~enwikt/definitions/

Thanks
Conrad