[Toolserver-l] Changes to expired accounts web hosting

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 21:06:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM, River Tarnell
<river.tarnell at wikimedia.de> wrote:
> I don't think this is a good idea.  The GPL is one of the most restrictive
> open source licenses and using it automatically could hinder reuse later.  A
> better choice might be something like the CDDL or MPL, which are also
> copyleft.

Using a non-GPL-compatible license would create problems too, since it
couldn't be integrated into GPL or LGPL projects, and those are two of
the most popular licenses in existence.  We could use the LGPL, or
another GPL-compatible weak-copyleft license.  Or we could just use an
MIT-style license.

> Users who want to use a very strict license would still have the option of
> doing so.

They would not have an option of applying a strict license to
already-published versions of their work, if they signed up without
reading the terms carefully.  On the other hand, if a very strict
license is the default, users who don't like it could release their
code more openly even retroactively.